Pages

Friday, May 22, 2009

How did I get this far?

If you had told me 10 years ago that I would have not only completed 6 half marathons by now but that I would actually look forward to runs over 10 miles, I probably would have told you you were crazy.

A decade ago, I considered 10 miles a really, really long run. The longest race I had run was a 4 mile race, but that was only once. Mostly I considered myself a 5K runner (and that was a stretch in 1992 when I ran my first one, but that's a story for another day.)

However, once I actually started to train for longer distances I was shocked by how quickly my body adapted. (I ran my first half marathon in January 2001. I didn't run my first 10K until that April.)

I knew something had changed in me the day I was on a long run, completed 1 hour of the run and thought, "Great! Only one hour to go!" Whaaaaat?

And again today, as I was updating my status on facebook (again, a sequence of words I didn't think I'd ever type) I wrote two phrases "Looking forward to my long run." "Only 10 miles."

How times change. All for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment